We have been talking a lot about making an entry in SparkFun's Autonomous Vehicle Competition. This year's [SparkFun AVC] will be held on June 16th, 2012.
What does everyone want to work on? Some questions to consider:
- What kind of chassis?
- Motor? Electric? Gas?
- What sensor package do we want?
- Sonar distance?
- IR distance?
- Depending on sensors and chassis we will have to decide what electronics control package is best.
Keep in mind that we could view our entry strategy in different ways. Being awarded as "the fastest" comes with a monetary prize, which would be a great opportunity for our space, but we could also choose to make our statement a different way. In 2011, in addition to the fastest, there were awards for:
- Crowd Pleaser (Most Entertaining)
- Engineers Choice (Best Technical Design)
- Kill Switch Award (Most Dangerous)
- Water Hazard Award (Finds the Pond and/or Stream)
- Rookie Award (Best First-Time Competitor)
- Best Dressed (Most Interesting Costume/Vehicle)
If you are interested in this project we would love to get it moving ahead, please contact us through our Google Group and/or attend one of our meetings.
Members involved (add yourself if you're not here):
- Dan Davis-Boxleitner
- Liz Baumann
- Christian Macy
- Ross Hendrickson